Rex Martin, tuba player extrordinaire, often plays with the Chicago Symphony and is a veteran of thousands of commercial recordings. He recommends that tuba players play music from all the other instruments, anything you find beautiful or challenging. It’s great advice, and Bach has put out some good stuff, for sure.
Charlie Porter is a New York trumpeter who also has some excellent how-to trumpet videos on YouTube. Here he’s playing the “Double” from Bach’s Partita No. 1, and his ability to effortlessly make these leaps are impressive. Beautifully resonant space, too. Not sure if it’s a subway, but it looks like one. Hope you like it.
- Fauré: Requiem; Bach: Partita, Chorales and Ciaconna (divineartifacts.wordpress.com)
- How Long Did the Musical Bach Family Remain Significant? (bachandsons.wordpress.com)
- Roy Hargrove Quintet Nails Strasbourg Saint Denis (talkingtrumpet.wordpress.com)
- The Night I Met Einstein – by Jerome Weidman (intentionalpractice.wordpress.com)
- Trumpeter Brad Goode’s “Chicago Red” to Be Released by Origin Records Feb. 19 (prweb.com)
- Jazz Trumpeter Donald Byrd, Dead at 80 (volokh.com)