What we play is life.
Want to learn more about the best ways to practice? Get an e-mail with a discount code when The Practice of Practice by Jonathan Harnum is published (June, 2014). To learn more about the book, check out a sample from The Practice of Practice.
This Chapter Covers:
- Making sense of your choices,
- method book repertoire,
- classical symphony repertoire
- classical solo repertoire,
- jazz repertoire
Terms to Know:
- repertoire: a collection of works that an artist can perform
- etude (AY-tude): A short piece of music designed to improve a particular technique.
- fake book: A book that includes lists of songs including the melody and chords. There are fake books containing jazz, Latin, Christmas, Christian, and many other types of tunes. For trumpet, consider getting the Bb edition so you don’t have to transpose!
- A PDF of this chapter and the 14 page list of trumpet music.
- Link to The Trumpet Store, where you can find many of these books and pieces of music, not to mention recordings.
- Here is a hand-written group of common classical symphony excerpts to practice.
The Usual Resources:
- Education is more important than Capitalism: I’ve given away well over 1 million free music book PDFs worldwide. Get your own free digital copy of
- …..Sound the Trumpet: How to Blow Your Own Horn
- …..Basic Music Theory: How to Read, Write, and Understand Written Music
- The Practice of Practice: a blog on music practice.
- Free mp3 examples from the book
- Other free printable practice aids
- Free trumpet video lessons
- Trumpet method books