I never practice; I always play. ~Wanda Landowska
I interviewed many stellar musicians from multiple genres of music for my next book The Practice of Practice. The Kickstarter campaign for the book is LIVE, through April 11, 2014. Get the book at a reduced price and help to bring it into the world. Learn more here.
This Chapter Covers:
- Where to practice,
- when to practice,
- how to practice,
- what to practice,
- why practice?
Terms to Know:
- ‘shed: as in “woodshed.” A slang term hip musicians use when they mean intense practice. As in going out to the woodshed alone and getting serious about practice.
- etude (AY-tude): A piece of music studied to improve technique.
- metronome: A mechanical device used to keep perfect time
- tuner: A mechanical device used to monitor correct pitch.
- pedal tone: A note below the normal range of the trumpet. Excellent for a brass player’s warm-up or cool-down.
Resources for This Chapter:
- Trumpet Stand: Keep your horn out and safe
- Recommended Books (I’ve read–and often re-read–all of them and only recommend good ones! They’re in order of goodness..:
- …The Musician’s Way, by Gerald Klickstein (review)
- …The Inner Game of Music by Barry Green, with Timothy Gallwey (review)
- …Effortless Mastery: Liberating the Master Musician Within, by Kenny Werner (review)
- …The Art and Technique of Practice, by Richard Provost–good for beginners (review)
- General Interest and Practice
- …The Talent Code: Genius Isn’t Born. It’s Grown. Here’s How, by Daniel Coyle’s (review)
- …Outliers: The Story of Success, by Malcolm Gladwell (review)
- …The Music Lesson: A Spiritual Search for Growth Through Music, by Victor Wooten (review)
- My blog, The Practice of Practice
- Free practice aids (PDF)
- Excellent online metronome (3 to choose from)
- Highly recommended books on- or related to practice: The Musician’s Way, The Inner Game of Music (review), The Art and Technique of Practice (review), Effortless Mastery (review), The Music Lesson (review), Outliers (review), The Talent Code (review),
- Store: Practice gear (more books, metronomes, supplies)
- April 2010 giveaway #1: a free digital copy of Sound the Trumpet: How to Blow Your Own Horn
- Free mp3 examples from the book
- Buy a hard copy of Sound the Trumpet
- Other free printable practice aids
- April 2010 giveaway #2: Free digital copy of Basic Music Theory: How to Read, Write, and Understand Written Music
- Buy a hard copy of my book Basic Music Theory