There is nothing more serious than fun. ~Don Cherry, trumpet master (1936-1995)
This Chapter Covers:
- alternate fingerings,
- scoops, doits, falls,
- half-valve techniques,
- flutter tongue, and the growl
Terms to Know:
- glissando: A smooth and continuous change from one note to another. Done on trumpet with the half-valve technique.
- slide: Another name for glissando. Also a name for part of the trombone.
- trill: Changing quickly from one note to another note the next closest note in the key signature above the primary note.
- scoop: A short glissando into a note from below.
- doit (pronounced doyt): A short rising glissando after a note.
- ornament: Melodic embellishments. Ornaments may be written in or improvised by the performer. Ornaments covered here are vibrato, trills, turns, shakes, etc.
Resources for This Chapter:
- Musical Examples:
Alternate Fingerings Exercise:
- Fingering and Alternate fingering chart
- Alternate fingering examples:
- …..The Sidewinder, track #2 on the Lee Morgan album, The Best of Lee Morgan from Blue Note Records
- …..Work Song, by Nat Adderly, track #1 on The Best of Cannonball Adderly, The Capitol Years
- Growl/Flutter Tongue examples:
- …..Short clip of Cootie Williams\’s Growl on the Juan Tizol tune, Caravan, done here w/ the Duke Ellington band (full tune here).
- …..Ceora by Lee Morgan, track #1 on The Best of Lee Morgan
- …..An example from classical music: Hummel concerto, mvmt #2 (video)
- …..me doing a shake on the tune Mambo Influenciado
- …..fantastic video lesson on shake from Nick Drozdoff
The Usual Resources:
- Education is more important than Capitalism: I’ve given away well over 1 million free music book PDFs worldwide. Get your own free digital copy of
- …..Sound the Trumpet: How to Blow Your Own Horn
- …..Basic Music Theory: How to Read, Write, and Understand Written Music
- The Practice of Practice: a blog on music practice.
- Free mp3 examples from the book
- Other free printable practice aids
- Free trumpet video lessons
- Trumpet method books
Leave a Comment
No comments yet.